Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Akira Kurosawa: 100 years!

My all time favorite director was born 100 years ago yesterday, March 23rd, 1910.

It's odd. Two days ago I got the sudden urge to check out his films again. It had been quite a while since I took one of them in. I decided to go with Yojimbo so I put that in for a whirl. The next morning I stayed in bed to start the day with Sanjuro. That evening was The Hidden Fortress, and just tonight I was watching Throne of Blood.

I heard it was 100 years since his birth, but I didn't even realize yesterday was the day until I saw a friends tweet. There must've been something in the air to compel me to watch his films these past few days. It feels almost supernatural.

Kurosawa is one of the reasons I wanted to pursue filmmaking. The man was a true genius in every sense of the word. All I can say is Thank You to Akira Kurosawa for changing the lives of so many people for the better with your visions. You are seriously missed.

1 comment:

richard henry said...

that's the man for sure