Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Film Review - Mongol



As you can tell from the Academy Award Nomination, this film has some credit to its name. I've been meaning to give this one a go for some time, but just now decided to sit down and watch it.
What a fantastic film! The story follows the rise of Genghis Kahn from a childhood wrought with hardship to one of the most astonishing rulers of the world. The cinematography rules the show on this one, with amazing landscapes and epic scenes. The swordplay in this film is brutal and realistic. The stylization mainly taking form in the sprays of blood that seem to be used as a way to carry on the adrenaline of the scene.
I was also very impressed with the brisk speed the film flows in. Sometimes it seemed the passage of time may have been a bit too quick, leaving out details I would have like to know about, but for such an ambitious film it is easy to overlook such gripes. I'm sure there is a director's cut somewhere down the line with these scenes.
I heard the story is meant to take place as a trilogy of films, since we are left with an obvious hint of a sequel. Unfortunately I haven't seen any evidence of production yet. Hopefully we'll get them soon. I imagine so though, since it garnered such critical acclaim.
Cross your fingers and watch this film NOW!

No comments: